Tuesday 30 January 2018

Betty meets The Blue Badger

I Betty Badger, have three journeys to tell you about....... but one thing at a time.

My Huwoman friend Mary and I were definitely not looking forward to last week's trip to DEFRA because the weather was due to be very rainy and indeed it was.  



But I had to go because The Blue Badger promised to meet me outside DEFRA and I was so excited to meet her.  I have never met a Blue Badger before.  I have heard of Ginger Badgers.  My Brian (RIP)'s mother was quite orange and on a sunny day Brian  had a ginger hue.  This s a picture of Brian's parents



It was as if the world was against our meeting though; not only the torrents, but the enemies of Badger folk were out to catch us.  Fifty yards away from DEFRA I saw this:


And then, just around the corner we saw this:



I was very nervous indeed as we were sure that DEFRA had finally had enough of Betty and her friends. Mary said she would protect me so we snuck around the vans to wait in our usual place.  It really was as wet as wet can be and my paws got very cold. But one of my regular friends came to talk to me and told me about how you can just accept things for what they are and look forward to better days. Mary told me about her Huwoman friend Helen (RIP) who said that standing in the rain reminded her that she was alive.  I was very well aware that I was alive, and wet, and I started looking forward to being on my way home underground on the silver tubeworm which is always snug and warm.  

Because it was so wet people didn't want to stop and talk and Mr Gove hid under a huge red umbrella pretending not to see me....  I don't have a picture of Mr Gove under a red umbrella because that is the wrong colour for a Conservatory, but here he is with a more appropriate umbrella and making a silly face:


Eventually out of the storm came a Huwoman called Lorraine with blonde fur on her head and she told me that she was a Blue Badger.  I have to admit that this was not what I was expecting.  Anyway, she told me that she was a member of an organisation called Blue Badger which is a group of Conservatories against the Badger Cull.  This is what  their webwords say:

Blue Badger is a member of  Team Badger which is a coalition of national, local and grass roots animal welfare organisations representing millions of compassionate citizens. We reject the government’s policy of badger culling as unsound, unscientific and unacceptable.

That all sounds very sensible to me.  This is their logo :


I think I could draw a better badger than that.  I think it might have mange.  Or perhaps I could model for a new logo. Lorraine took a selfie with me and promised to tweet it.  Lots of people do that but since I don't know what a tweet is, apart from the noise the birds make, I am not sure if that is a good thing but Lorraine likes Badgers, and Elephants, so I can trust her.

On Saturday Huwoman Mary asked if I would like to go to a demonstration with her in a place called Letchworth.  Her friends were protesting against the destruction of The Green Belt.  Badgers don't wear belts so I thought I would stay at home and get ready for the arrival of my cubs which are due soon.  Mary explained that The Green Belt is not for holding up your trousers but is an area of land that Hupeople are not allowed to build setts and factories on but other Creatures such as Badgers and Foxes and Rabbits are allowed to, so they are safe places for Animals to live without too much disturbance. Mary's friend Nikki said that many Badger setts will be destroyed if the builders moved in and Badgers will lose the homes they have lived in for thousands and thousands of years.  Please don't forget that Badgers were here before Hupeople.  

Anyway, I went and had a jolly time with all the Hupeople and made loads of new friends.  These are some pictures they sent:  

This is Heather, Nikki and Me (and Nikki's 2 dogs, which are OK- for dogs):



Then here is Frank holding my hand because I am tired and don't have very good eyesight:


Here are some of the lovely protesters;




And Finally ... Betty and Bryony very tired after a very exciting day out :


Today I went to DEFRA again and met a Human called Dominic who is the head of a club of Badger Lovers called The Badger Trust. He took a selfie too.  And we made some plans..... but I will tell you all about that another time.

Night Night Hupeople

Love,  Betty🐾🐾

4 comments:

  1. Dear Betty, I can see that you have Royal Blood. Your mother and father look very much like Princes Harry and William, except that Prince William has now shaved his head fur. Perhaps you should communicate with Prince Harry that his ginger badger cousins are in danger.
    I am glad to see that Mary is active. She is a brave and stalwart huwoman. It is important to defend the green belt from the destructive developers and protect the open space for all the other creatures.
    I hope that Bryony's brothers and sisters are quickening in the womb. I also hope that when they are born they wont keep Mary awake at night. Hupeople need to sleep when it is dark.
    I look forwards to joining you at DEFRA one day in February,
    Love from Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see I have made a confusion. It is Brian's parents who bore the ginger gene! But there is a Blue badger who must be of noble birth.

      Delete
    2. Hello again Tom. Don't worry about getting my genes wrong! It is lovely that you read my blog. XXXX Betty

      Delete
  2. Thank you Tom. As always very supportive to Betty and Mary. The cubs are expected in about a week. Their arrival will certainly keep me confined to the sett for a while. Lots of Love from Betty xxx

    ReplyDelete