Tuesday 27 February 2018

Betty's Party at DEFRA

I was so excited on Wednesday night that I just couldn't sleep.  You know how it is when you invite friends to a party and you are worried that no one will arrive?  I thought that my worst fear was realised when I arrived at DEFRA on Thursday morning and I was all alone except for all the Cubs who came with me.  The Police had arranged some fencing outside DEFRA to keep my friends under control.  Here I am being kept under control and feeling very alone...



If you look carefully, you can see my 3 Cubs on the left of the fence, and you can see ginger Bud in the middle.  That picture was taken by a lovely young Human called Joe. 

Then more Humen and Huwomen and Badgers began to arrive.   Here are some pictures:






 They brought lots of banners with them



Some of the Hupeople dressed up like Badgers


Some of them made lots of noise and used horns to make their voices louder.  One Human blew a whistle but I didn't like that much because it hurt my ears. I thought the Humans were singing but I was told it was called chanting and they said things like, "Mr Gove, Stop the Cull" and "NFU Shame on You" .



I was told that Mr Gove and DEFRA are in the pockets of the NFU- the National Farmers union- and Mr Gove "dances to their tune"!  I have a bit of difficulty with that concept as I just cannot picture Mr Gove and DEFRA dancing in  farmers' pockets, but I was told that this is a "Metaphor".  What people are saying is that the rich farmers of the NFU can influence Mr Gove and the Government because they give the Conservatory Government lots of money.  Mr Gove was at the NFU conference on the day before our little get-together, so it does make me think...  Oh and the new Huwoman who has just become the leader of the NFU  hates Badgers, so I am very worried about that. This is Minette Batters the new NFU Huwoman

Image result for minette batters

She farms Cows and kills them for meat then blames Badgers when they get diseases. I must keep an eye open for her...

I don't really understand politics because Badgers don't have politics.  We live together in big setts underground with lots of generations.  We get born, we mate, we dig holes, we have Cubs and we eat Worms and peanuts (and other stuff I won't mention...) .

In the country where we live, we have 2 main Political groups.  The Conservatories and the Labours. The Conservatories don't seem to like Animals very much and a lot of them like hunting Foxes, and killing Pheasants and Badgers.  But we must mention the Blue Badger group who are Conservatories who do want the Badger Cull to stop. The Labours seem to like Animals a bit more and their leader is Jeremy who is a vegetarian and doesn't even eat worms! He is opposed to vivisection, foie gras, fur farming, hunting, the Badger Cull and wild Animals in circuses. He sounds like a nice Human. This is Mr Corbyn:

Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the Labour Party


Although I am not a political Badger I am very happy that the Labour Animal Rights Group came to our get-together.  They had a very nice sign:



Mr Gove did come to his DEFRA office when we were having our protest and he did say hello to us all.  Some people shouted at him when he was leaving on his way to Chequers to talk about BREXIT.  He got chased to his car by a Badger, but not me because I was busy looking after my Cubs.  


We had four very clever speakers who talked about the wrongness of the Badger Cull.   Two of them were from The Badger Trust, Peter and Dominic,  and a Human called Tom who is taking legal action against the Government, and a Labour Party Animal loving Human called Padraig.  



I am so glad that we had our get-together to show how much Hupeople care about the Badger folk.  Although it was a very cold day lots of good Hupeople came to support Betty and her cubs and I have made lots of new friends. 

Badgers:


Hupeople:  I really want to thank all the lovely people for coming, including Tom and Jane and Nikki and Heather and Frank and Chris and Marge and all the others who were so lovely and kind and brave. 



I was going to go back to DEFRA on Thursday but it looks as if we will be snowed in, so I will probably stay at home in the sett and keep the Cubs warm and well fed.

That's all for now.  Night night, Betty 🐾🐾

PS if you don't want your photo here please writ e comment in the place below and I will take you out 



4 comments:

  1. Dear Betty, It was wonderful to see all the Hupeople who came to support you and to protest outside DEFRA. It was also very powerful experiencing how passionate the Hupeople were feeling against the continuing murder of badgers.
    Maybe Mr. Corbyn is a kinder sort of Human as he too has a furry face like you badger folk. Let us hope that his Labouring is not in vain. How terrible that so many of the Conservatories hate other creatures and like to kill for pleasure. What must it do to their invisible souls?
    I hope that you are warm and snug with your cubs in your sett, Dear Betty. The Globular Warming seems to be passing us by this week.
    Love from Tom. (and a lick for the cubs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Tom. What a lovely comment. Perhaps you should be helping me write my BLog. You are a very clever and thoughtful Human. Thank you for coming to my party. I wonder if Badgers have souls? I must admit that I have never thought about that...Lots of Love to you and your Cubs.xx

      Delete
  2. The great Badger soul lives, feels, and thinks through you Dear Betty.
    We are waiting for my cub's cub to be born. We can see the shape of his little foot when he practices his football skills in her tummy.
    Take good care of Mary, help her to be warm and strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tom. I wonder what a Soul is made of? Something for a Badger to dwell on.

      I am sure that you are excited waiting for the Cub to be born, but also a bit anxious. Oh how vulnerable our cubs are. We just want them to be safe and happy, but sometimes the world does seem like a scary place. Betty will risk leaving her cubs this week and go back to DEFRA, but her cubs will be in the safe hands of Bryony. She is losing the wild ways of her youth... a little.

      Love to you and your cubs. Betty xxx

      Delete