Saturday 8 December 2018

Betty Badger and other Animals

Hello Betty Badger fans.  You might have started to worry that I had been culled or run over, but here I am safe and sound.  

I am, however, a bit disgruntled because Mary's priorities seem to have changed in the last week or so.  Her latest enthusiasm is for... you will never guess what... Chickens!  Which seems a bit odd since she doesn't eat eggs.  She now has  six Rescue Hens in her garden which keep producing eggs. She has been giving them to her lovely neighbours Mike and Vanessa.  I said she should give them to me.  Actually, she has probably forgotten that Badgers do eat eggs..... and Chickens.  I promise I won't eat her Chickens..... unless I get really really hungry. 


She got her Hens a week ago and has named them Henrietta, Charlie, Orlando, Pauline, Mike and Vanessa.  Mary isn't sleeping because she is so worried that a Fox will get them during the night. She has big rings under her eyes like a Panda.  




Mary is pretty handy with a screwdriver. Here are some pictures of her building a hen coop:





Mary has also been organising demonstrations against reindeer exploitation and here is the evidence:


But of course you are not reading this to find out about Chickens or Reindeer or Mary - you want to know about ME, your favourite Badger. Despite all the Alternative Animal Activity, Mary and I have been to DEFRA for the last three Thursdays as usual.  We have had wet weather, misty warm weather and bitterly cold weather.  The lovely Caffe Nero Huwomen brought us hot coffee again.  Thank you Caffe Nero for saving our lives.

Today was quite fun as we met some of our old friends and made some new ones.  We met a very clever man who knew all about the Godfray report which said that killing us Badgers was not a very sensible thing to do and certainly won't do anything about the spread of bovine TB. We talked about global warming and how Hupeople need to eat less meat if we want to save our planet.  I wonder if that includes worms?   I would find it very hard to give up worms... But lots of Badgers and other lesser Animals died of thirst this year because of the drought that might come from Global Warming so perhaps we all need to do our bit

I met a man called Paulo who is a member of the group who wants to disrupt traffic and daily life in London so that Hupeople take climate change seriously.   He was on a bicycle of course.  He promised to read my blog.  Hello Paulo!

We also met an old friend who works for the Cathedral sorting out relationship problems.She is so lovely and supportive with a bright smile and always cheers me up.  She did a selfie with me, as did lots of other Hupeople today.  Betty is becoming Ubiquitous-  I don't actually know what that means but Mary said it and I thought is sounded impressive. 

There was a very important diplomatic meeting in Smith Square where I spent an hour or so.  Huge black cars called BMW and Audi with special number plates lined up outside beside me.  I wondered if all the Humen in the backs of these metal boxes on wheels had a disability because they had Drivers in the front to drive them. They looked very healthy and affluent when they got out of the back and Mary said it wasn't that they couldn't drive just that they were too important to drive.  I have made a note of the number plates, just in case.  

It occurred to me that I might subcontract myself for spying outside government offices because no one is going to suspect a Badger of anything, apart from TB of course.  I have amassed quite a useful portfolio of photos of the goings on outside DEFRA and the Home Office.

Returning briefly to the subject of Chickens, I think the Human Resources Department of DEFRA needs to look at the motivation and happiness of their staff.   On the stroke of midday, when their lunch break starts I suppose,  loads of staff rush out of he entrance, almost falling over each other in their desperation to leave the office.  They remind me of Mary's Chickens when she opens the coop door in the morning and they come bundling out.

I also met a Huwoman who had run over and killed a Badger last week with her car.  Her friend told me this information while she was walking by and I think she was a bit embarrassed.  Hopefully she has learned her lesson and is very sorry.  50,000 of us Badgers die each year because of cars.  I only wish that Hupeople would drive more slowly especially at night.  If you see a dead or injured badger please contact your local Badger group and they will help.  I am going to put a picture of a Badger here in case you are reading my Blog for the first time and don't know what  Badger looks like.  We are very attractive and intelligent animals who are highly talented at digging tunnels. 



On Tuesday when we were on our way to a Badger meeting Mary found a beautiful Deer knocked down by a car .  We were so sad that everyone was driving by fast and the poor thing was going to be squashed so Mary put her car in front of it to protect it.  After Mary had stopped crying, she rang her friends and they took it to a wildlife vet who operated; the Deer will survive.  Mary did some more crying and the next day rang up the County Council and asked them to put up a deer crossing sign, because deer are always getting killed there.



Now I haven't said anything about Mr Gove or Mr Eustice this week because I know that soon they will make an announcement about the number of us Badgers they Killed this year and what they intend to do next year.  They will release this information when everyone is too busy to notice, possibly because of Brexit or on the day when Parliament breaks for Xmas.  Call me cynical.... .

I will write my blog again soon if Mary helps me with the computer and is not too busy cleaning out Chicken muck!  This Badger is very clever and is quite capable of cleaning out her own sett.

Night Night

Betty  🐾🐾🐾

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog as always but suggest you create a fence for your chooks as otherwise Mr/s Fox will wait for you to release them. Unless there are no foxes in your area of course...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Betty your latest blog is as always full of interesting information about your campaigning adventures with Mary. But I hope she doesn't read it because it might upset her that you seem to be a little jealous about the arrival of the chickens. I think it would be nice if you tried to be friendly and helpful with the chickens because Mary has a lot to do and she still loves you you know even though she loves the chickens as well. As always I remain one of your greatest fans Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rainbow. Thank you for your wise and sensible words. I am getting used to the chickens. They are not too noisy but they do poo prodigiously. I am forever getting my paws in chicken poo. If you read my new blog you will see that one of them has died. That made me a bit sad because it made Mary sad. Sending you lots of Love, Betty

    ReplyDelete