Friday 21 December 2018

Betty gets Bloody for Badgers.

Hello Betty Badger Fans,

Do your remember how I told you that Badgers don't have water coming out of their eyes when they are sad- you know, that thing called crying.  Well I would have cried this week if I could but Mary cried enough for both of us so that's OK.  

We were sitting here at the computer looking at our pictures when suddenly Mary let out a big roar of grief that I thought would topple the world on its axis and a lot of water came out of her eyes.  When she had calmed down she told me that DEFRA had just announced how many of my Badger friends DEFRA had killed this Autumn and it was:

32,601

Can you picture all those dead Badgers?  Here is a picture of just four shot Badgers and that is sad enough.


Imagine what 32,601 looks like.  Imagine how much fear and sorrow there is in the Badger clans when their brother or father or mother doesn't come back from foraging.  And imagine how frightened they must be when they hear the sound of guns.  

And, as you know, there is no scientific reason to kill Badgers.  It is Cows that cause bovine TB and wicked farmers like Mark Pickford in Stoke who was moving infected Cows around "putting profit before animal welfare" said the newspaper..... as if that is anything new....

So our trip to DEFRA today was important.  Before we left Mary made a new sign and spilled red paint over me which I didn't think was very kind, but she said we had to make a bigger impact.  It was to remind Hupeople that the Cull was about killing and hurting and causing blood to flow.   Here I am outside DEFRA with my paint and new sign:


Oh and I wore my Santa hat .  One Human said the fake blood was a good idea as it made more impact.  Another Human was upset because I had been festive and jolly last week in my Santa hat and now I had spoiled that for him.  Fewer Hupeople spoke to me and Mary, and a few DEFRA staff looked guilty and sneaked away hoping I wouldn't see them.  One lovely Human wasn't worried about the blood and gave me a Hi 5 or however you spell that.

Mary wasn't much use today though because she kept weeping so sometimes I pretended I wasn't with her.  She is also sad because one of her new Hens called Henrietta died of a mystery illness.  This is one of the Hens although I don't know if it is Henrietta as they all look the same to me:

I think there may be an affair of the heart, as you humans call it, involved too. I am confused by how much fuss you Hupeople make about these things and am not really sure why you call mating an affair of the heart; we Badgers use different body parts for that and it works fine as demonstrated by my large family of Cubs.  

I think you will agree with me that Hens are not as good looking as Badgers.  One DEFRA person called me "cute" today even though I was covered in fake blood.  I never will understand Hupeople.

In housing the rescue Chickens Mary has taken on more than she bargained for.  The Pheasants from the local shoot have started hiding in her garden and going in the coop to eat the Chicken food so Mary is now feeding around 6 ordinary Hens and around 30 "Designer Chickens".  I call the pheasants that because they are pretty and don't have all that red dangly stuff around their heads.  Here is a picture from Mary's garden with her various hens: 









If you have been reading this BLog for the last year or so you will recall a couple of trips me and Mary took to the Conservatory Party Conferences in in Birmingham and Liverpool.  Remember these times?


Do you also remember how I met a Dog and his Human who were protesting against Nuclear Power outside these Conferences .  We became chums, even though his Dog growled at me quite a lot.  Anyway, we met again this week in Smith Square as he was protesting against the Brexit fiasco.  It is certainly a fiasco for Badgers because everyone is so busy talking about Brexit and Christmas that they didn't hear about all the dead Badgers.


Mary had an argument last week with a Human who came out of DEFRA in Smith Square.  I don't know who he was but he was quite important, probably a Minister or a Senior Civil Servant, because he spoke in a very posh voice and had a coat with a velvet collar like this one. He also had a Driver as he was too important to drive himself. 



As he left Nobel House hew shouted at me and Mary and said we should go away and protest about something that actually matters.  There is a Human expression "red rag to a bull" .  Well, Mary became very angry and shouted back that the killing of innocent Badgers was very important indeed.  And he shouted that she was stupid and should stop wasting her time. Then his driver drove him off very fast before Mary could say (or do!) anything else. But he did make us both sad.  We have been going to DEFRA every week and to Conservatory Party Conferences for more than a year now and wonder if we are indeed wasting our time.  I reassured Mary that we had to stand up (and occasionally sit down when we get tired) for justice and kindness.  Then a DEFRA person came along and whispered "Don't give up . I'm on your side" so we felt a bit better.

Perhaps it wasn't just my "blood" that made Hupeople avoid us today but also because they didn't want to be reminded of the harsh realities and cruelties of the world and instead want to focus on the dream and sparkle of your holiday called Christmas. I reminded Mary that it was the Ox and the Ass who saw Jesus first- the Shepherds and Kings came later.  



Seasons Greetings Hupeople!  

Mary and I are going into hibernation for a couple of weeks so you won't see us at DEFRA next week.  I told Mary if Mr Gove can Have Christmas off then so can we.  Also, I think she needs a rest as she is downhearted and to replenish her eye-water reserves in case she starts crying again as she has run out of tears .  

I remembered she said how much she was disillusioned with the Human race and wanted to become a hermit.  Well, I have a big Christmas surprise for her.  I have dug her a big sett large enough for a Huwoman and dug a bed chamber filled with fresh straw and a food store filled with her favourite peanuts so she can sleep snug and sit and eat peanuts until she is ready to come out again.  Please don't tell her that I tunnelled my way into her bird food bins and stole all the peanuts.  I think her (and my) need for peanuts is greater than the birds'.  

PS: I do hope I can get all the red paint out of my nice fur before spring.  I might want another mate and in my present state no self-respecting Badger Boar will give me a second look

PPS: I just heard that the world did topple on its axis but Mary said it was not her roar of despair over the Badger Kill-Cull that did it, but today is the Winter  Solstice so that happens anyway.

PPPS: The Homeless Dog and his Human friend are no longer sleeping in Pimlico station.  I hope that are happy and warm in their own home.

PPPPS:  Thank you to the lovely staff of Pimlico station for the inspiring notices they put up for Hupeople to see at the top of the escalators.  We trudged very downhearted and weepy on Thursday and then we saw this, which made all the difference and gave us HOPE :


Wishing all Betty's fans a Joyful and Safe New Year, from Betty and Mary and Cubs Chickens and Designer Chickens. 

Betty 🐾🐾🐾

6 comments:

  1. I lost a Henrietta too!
    Never give up is true.Often it's a long black tunnel before you begin to see the light. I have been there many times.Its whats makes you special Mary.Have a happy Xmas and look forward to the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve. Yes, I am sure that you have your hopeless days too as you have so many important battles to fight. Mary went into the snug tunnel I made her yesterday and she didn't even turn on her computer. Me and Mary wish you a happy festive season with lots of indulgence and laughter. Betty xxx

      Delete
  2. A big well done Mary and Betty for all your tireless campaigning throughout the year. You are both amazing. Indeed it is easy to lose hope when the toll of murdered badgers is so high and no one at DEFRA is taking any notice of the scientific evidence and continuing with the annual cull of badgers.
    Take a rest, enjoy Christmas but don’t give up hope. We have to hope that in 2019 DEFRA will finally realise that they are complete idiots and wasting millions of pounds of taxpayer’s money to murder our lovely badgers without any effect on the eradication of bovine TB in cattle.
    Happy Christmas Mary and Betty . Let’s hope 2019 is a good year for badgers.
    Alison Carberry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Alison. How lovely to read your positive and supportive words. Humans are called Homo sapiens but not a lot of them are very bright, particularity MPs and Hupeople who work for them. Me and Mary will not give up. We are both having a rest in our respective setts and eating lots of peanuts. She didn't even turn on the computer yesterday. I don;t think computers are very healthy because when we use them we often get sad, especially if we look at Facebook.
    We both wish you a wonderful new year and thank you for being a really lovely kind Huwoman.

    Betty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just heard you on IPM on Radio 4. Keep up the good work, Betty. You're doing a marvellous job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Hasher.

    I was, at first, quite disappointed by the radio article because all the serious stuff about science and numbers of dead Badger friends and cruelty was edited out. And they edited me out and you only heard from Mary. But on a second listen Mary came across as passionate and committed even if a bit whacky. And there were a couple of very funny moments such as the young men in Liverpool being gay and not Badgers.

    Mary and I were very annoyed by the DEFRA’s disingenuous comment at the end. In 5 years they have killed 70,000 badgers at a cost of £50 million and have not vaccinated a single one. Nor have they vaccinated any cattle. They are wicked Hupeople with no kindness or intelligence.
    Thank heavens there are good Hupeople like you who care about us Badgers. Thank you for writing to us.
    Betty xxx

    ReplyDelete