Sunday 21 October 2018

Betty has a Broken Heart

Hello Hupeople.  Betty has a broken heart .  I can hardly bear to tell you why.

You know that Mr Gove is killing 42,000 Badgers this Autumn?  Well, one of these is my favourite cub Bryony.  

I know that parents are not supposed to have favourite cubs but we all do.  Perhaps it is the naughty ones that we are specially fond of because we hold them in out hearts to try to keep them safe from their mischief. 

You might recall that Byrony got caught in a trap last year but some wonderful Hupeople helped her escape and she came home to us.   They are out there in the countryside in the dark saving my Badger friends while I write this, but they can't save them all.  Bryony loved peanuts just too much ......

and those nasty Humen put nuts inside a trap and Bryony just couldn't resist the smell.  So now she is shot dead by the flash-bang sticks and has a label like this:


Even more sad is that she was carrying little cubs inside her waiting for the spring when they would have popped out like naughty little Bryonys:



This killing of my Badger friends is an everyday reality at present, all over the countryside  from the West Country, to Cumbria.  Every day Badger families are torn apart by the wicked Humen with their flash-bang sticks who enjoy killing and want to make £50 for every Badger they shoot. 

But more wicked than the Shooters are the Hupeople in DEFRA and most especially Michael Gove.  They all know that the Badger Kill-Cull is unscientific and cruel and yet they carry on.  Mary and other even more clever people like the Zoological Society have told Mr Gove that killing us Badgers is wrongheaded and cannot work. We have given DEFRA a kinder and more effective strategy but they will not listen,  because they are in the pockets of the NFU who hate Badgers.

Mary and I both have water coming out of our eyes but we will try to carry on writing a bit more of our BLog and let you know about some happier matters. 

We visited DEFRA on the last 2 Thursdays and, on the first of these, two of Mary's friends came to play.  Here is their picture.  As Hupeople can't grow fur they wore body coverings with pictures of me on them. 


They are very good at making big signs and they made one specially for me. 

                                                                  Here I am with the lovely sign.

 It was really nice to have their company.  I do hope they will come again

Loads and loads of Hupeople had their picture taken with me and lots of them promised to Tweet me, whatever that means. I played Hide and Seek with a Hucub around a tree. 

Two DEFRA Humen came by and one of them said, "Oh my God; that last tab of LSD must have been pretty strong because I am having some amazing flashbacks; I just saw a huge Badger!"   I have no idea what he was talking about but I hope that's a good thing.

I promised that I would tell you about Badgers and Hedgehogs but I am too sad.  What I will say is that in a recent piece of research they have shown that in some areas where there no Hedgehogs there are no Badgers either. It is the Hupeople who are destroying both of us with their farming and their housing and their fences and their cars. So I wish Hupeople would stop yelling "Hedgehog Killer" at me and then running away and not listening to the science.  Then again, truth doesn't seem to matter much to some Hupeople. 

Mary has been causing mischief in her village by saying at her meeting last week that the shooting of Pheasants for sport is wrong and cruel. Particularly when they use poison to kill the Fox cubs and the Buzzards; apparently that is illegal but they do it anyway. We found a Pheasant that had been shot.  A Human was kicking it.  Mary tried to save it but it died. She took a picture of it before I ate it.  
She thought it was very beautiful; I thought it was tasty but had too many feathers.  Since the Hupeople don't eat most of the Pheasants they kill I might as well benefit.

It is the time of year when Badgers have to eat loads of food to carry us thought the winter.  The Holly trees have more berries than I have ever seen and Mary says this means it will be a very harsh winter.  
Any excuse to eat lots.  The trouble is, I can hardly get down my sett. I have become a very fat Badger.

Mary was very busy this week and she gave 4 talks to a school to 100 older Hucubs on the ethics of how Hupeople treat Animals.  She talked about Human Rights and Animal Rights and Racism and Speciesism.  She also told them about the Badger Kill-Cull and said that although Badgers do have Rights because they are a Protected Species, that doesn't seem to help us much as everyone seems to want to kill us!

I am not ending my Blog on a positive note because I am so very sad about my Cub Bryony.  Mary is going to put a link to a video from Change.org on the internet which shows the reality of the Badger Kill-Cull.  Neither Me nor Mary has looked at this because it is probably going to be too upsetting but if you want to know more then do take a look:

Night night all kind Hupeople.   I hope that all the wicked Hupeople have horrible dreams and get bitten by fleas.

Betty. 🐾🐾🐾



6 comments:

  1. Too sad for words - especially as I so enjoyed seeing so many of your mates in Tewin from the hide last week - there is no sense in all of this at all x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay for taking the time to make a comment on my BLog. It is good for me to know that there are some kind and rational Hupeople in the world. Sometimes we feel like giving up but nice Hupeople like you give us Badgers Hope. I am so glad that you went to see some real live Badgers. We are cute aren't we? Thank you nice Huwoman Kay. xxx

      Delete
  2. All my respect to you Betty Badger - for everything you are doing! Decent humans disagree with this mass killing spree and despair at the cruelty and blinkered, wilful ignorance.
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Choosy Susy. As Edmund Burke might have said “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” And, sadly, most Hupeople do nothing. Fortunately some do, such as all those wonderful Hupeople out in the countryside getting Badgers out of traps, or Badgering their MPs or writing to the papers. Please don't give up Nice Hupeople. Betty xxx

      Delete
  3. Dear Betty, such sad news about Bryony. I can imagine just how painful it must be for you and Mary. But you both go bravely on.
    So many interesting encounters you are having. Each one a moment of warmth and light. The people who have responded in a silly or negative way have met something real and good even if they don't know it.
    What you do gives me hope that one day this terrible abuse will end.
    Love from Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Tom. Thank you for your kind and supportive comments. Mary and I were very upset indeed, especially when we heard that DEFRA has already killed at least 32,000 of our Badger friends this autumn, Badgers just like Bryony. There will be a lot of fear and sadness in the Kill-Cull Zones.
    Although the kind Hupeople who are helping us Badgers sometimes give up hope, they then remember who and what they are fighting for and carry on their wonderful work so save us and change hearts and minds.
    Although the Kill-Cull is now drawing to a close, we will carry on working to stop it happening next year.
    Betty xxx

    ReplyDelete