Friday 20 July 2018

Betty set for Hollywood

Hello Hupeople! 

Today was a big day for Badgers and for me Betty Badger. I got on my first moving picture when Lee (and Simon from Change.org) came to DEFRA to hand in a petition about stopping the Badger Kill Cull.   Do you know that more than 200,000 lovely Hupeople took the time to sign the petition including my friend Vanessa? 

I hope I didn't upset Lee because the first thing I said to him was "You are very handsome....for a human".  Lee is an ecologist who loves wildlife, especially Bats and Badgers and he lives in Wales where they have decided not to kill Badgers for no good scientific reason but instead use vaccination.  Lee was very good at explaining how stupid the Kill Cull is. Here is our picture. 


And here is the link to the video film of me and Lee:

Betty and Lee with Badger Petition

The video makes it look as if it all went very easily but the Hupeople at DEFRA in Marsham Street wouldn't let Lee in with his petition even though Lee had told them he was comingThey were worried that he might have a bomb in his box so we opened it.  Here is a picture of me with the petition box bomb:


They wouldn't even let him hand in a memory stick with all the names on it in case it blew up the DEFRA computer system. In the end we went to the other DEFRA office in Smith Square where they are not as fussy.  We had hoped that Mr Gove or Mr Eustice would take our petition but, as usual, they were too busy- probably talking about The Brexit or scheming to kill Mrs May.

Mary had been very excited about meeting Lee and Simon and she even made me a new sign to put round my neck as the other one was very scruffy .  She didn't let me write the sign in case I got the spelling of "innocent" wrong again.

I met lots of my old DEFRA friends again so I am just sending them a message: 


"HELLO FANS AT DEFRA! Nice to see you!

It was very hot today again and it was a bit difficult for me and Mary to stand around for hours, but we know it is important for us to keep people talking about Badgers.  One interesting observation I made was that some of the the Humen cut off their leg coverings to keep cool.  That is all very well, but when  you are on the silver Tubeworm with Humen doing what is called Man-spreading then it can be very uncomfortable. A Human sitting next to Mary kept tickling her legs with his furry legs.  He had more fur than a Badger.

This is a picture of Man spreading I found on the internet:



Still, I suppose they have to do that to keep their spermatozoa cool enough to make Cubs.....

Outside DEFRA I met a senior Huwoman who works in the Home Office in an important and secret job. She was very elegant and kind and listened to my story.  I hope she is reading this and that she will talk to her important friends.  We all know that the Badger Kill Cull has become muddied by vested interests and politics.   Mary is waiting anxiously to hear about the Cull Zones for this autumn and how many of my Badger friends they intend to kill.  When they wipe us all out, they will probably start on the deer... who can also catch TB from Cows.  The last 3 important announcements were made on the days Parliament was going into recess (that means going on their holidays) .   "A good day to hide bad news".  

All this talk of killing Badgers is making me feel sad so here is a picture from the internet of a happy healthy Badger



I still haven't heard from Mr Eustice about my appointment with him.  Mary did get a letter this week from DEFRA using all the old false arguments to justify the Kill Cull. Such as the Irish experience. In fact the reason the number of TB cases reduced that time in Ireland was because of an outbreak of Foot and Mouth and Cattle movements were stopped, so Cows were not being moved from Farm to Farm spreading disease.  The letter went on about the difficulty in making a vaccine for cows.  They cannot have very good scientists working for them as they have been trying to make a vaccine for around ten years and still haven't worked out how to do it.  Here are some scientists who look quite clever; perhaps DEFRA might give them a call:



The letter from The Correspondence Team at DEFRA also talked about its review of its Bovine TB Strategy by Sir Charles Godfray.  Thinking that Mary would be impressed by this, they forgot that she knows that the Review by Sir Godfray does NOT include a review of the Badger KiIl Cull.  Here is a picture of Charles Godfray:


He does look like quite a sensible man but if his terms of reference don't include the question of Killing Badgers then I don't suppose he will be of much help to us.  I wonder why he is a Sir?  Perhaps because he is so clever and wise.  I wonder if they might make Mary or me a Sir one day, for being Doggedly persistent.  I doubt it...  because we are not part of The Establishment- or a celebrity.  Oh Well.

Time to cuddle up with my Cubs and give them some love and attention.  They were so excited to be filmed; did you see them on the video? We are hoping that one day we will be on the Big Screen and be huge; that might make Politicians and Civil Servants be nicer to us.

Night Night,🐾🐾🐾

Betty 





3 comments:

  1. Dear Betty, it is very moving to hear you and Lee on the video clip explaining so clearly and straightforwardly why the killing* of Badgers is such an evil thing to do. It makes me sad to even think about it and I wonder how you and Mary and Lee can bear knowing the full reality of what is happening. You are all very brave beings.
    I feel hopeful every time I think of all the people you are meeting when you go to DEFRA, the activists, the passers-by, the civil servants, the security people, the huwomen on police-horses. It is all very wonderful and good.
    Regarding the man-spreading I have seen photographs of Mr. Trump doing it with Mr.Putin. I guess they were trying to show the world who has the bigger balls.
    Maybe if humen wore skirts their spermatozoa would be nice and cool, and it would do some of them good to know what it feels like to have hupeople trying to see up their skirts.
    So, dear Mary and Betty. It is wonderful that you keep going throughout the hot weather and the times of uncertainty. You are acting out of love and compassion and hupeople feel that when they see you and hear your voice.
    Mary always expresses her thinking so clearly in her beautiful warm voice and you look so beautiful, you are definitely stars. But i don't want you to be whisked off to Hollywood!!
    Love from Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. *I starred 'killing' in my last comment because I don't want to use the words 'culling' or 'cull'. They are sly words which hide the true horror of what is really happening, the mass slaughter, the killing of innocent beings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Badgers, deer and foxes come in the night
    seeking sustenance from kind hands,
    those souls who carry the well-being of all creatures in their hearts

    the huwoman carries a heavy burden in her consciousness
    she feels the need of the wild creatures
    she knows the intentions of greedy hupeople

    she is suffering for the innocent
    sometimes it seems as if she stands alone
    but days come when other kind hearts walk beside her

    and there are others
    who do not show their faces
    but inwardly they are holding hands with Mary and Betty
    --------------------------
    In the hilly Chiltern forest
    moonlight trickles through leaves
    straking a badger's head
    dappling the chalky gound

    she is working
    with powerful paws she ejects the debris from her citadel
    Cosmic Life pulsing in her
    Cosmic Wisdom guiding her endeavour
    Cosmic Love vibrating in her Being


    ReplyDelete